MBBS, B Pharm, FRACP
My mission is to provide comprehensive medical care to children and their families using a holistic approach with the most up to date knowledge and expertise. When required, I collaborate with a caring and experienced team of on-site allied health professionals. I work full-time at Paeds in a Pod allowing me to provide urgent support for my patients with review appointments when required. I provide long term care for children and their families from birth to leaving school.
Dr Chris Toumpas is a founding director of Paeds in a Pod which now has several clinics and a large group of paediatricians and other specialists and allied health professionals. Dr Toumpas is also the Head of the Paediatrics Department at Greenslopes Private Hospital. He works in private practice full-time at Paeds in a Pod at Woolloongabba and at Greenslopes Private Hospital. He is regularly on call for the Greenslopes Maternity service to care for newborn babies since establishing the service in early 2013.
Dr Toumpas can also see his patients privately at the Mater Children’s Private Hospital Brisbane and the Mater Mothers’ Private Hospital. Dr Toumpas has worked as a visiting specialist at the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital.
Dr Toumpas has been described as an attentive and caring paediatrician from both his colleagues and patients alike and covers all facets of paediatrics from newborn babies up to school leaver age.
Working full-time in private practice allows Dr Toumpas to make himself available to his patients requiring urgent appointments. He is available for new patients and urgent referrals can be booked quickly when required.
Dr Toumpas also participates in medical education for general practitioners, training doctors, nurses and medical students. He has completed research in medical education, newborn hearing and congenital cytomegalovirus infections and has two publications in medical journals and in 2016, he won an award for a presentation at an international paediatric conference in the USA.
Recognition and appointments:
- 2012 Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2012 Founding Director of Paeds in a Pod
- 2014 Senior Lecturer in Medicine – University of Queensland
- 2014 Member of the Australian College of Rural & Remote Medicine
- 2015 Nomination for UQ Medical Students Teacher of the Year Award
- 2016 Member of the Neurodevelopmental and Behavioural Paediatric Society of Australasia
- 2016 Awarded best poster presentation at the International Paediatrics 2016 Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- 2019 Head of the Paediatrics Department at Greenslopes Private Hospital
- J Paediatr Child Health. 2014 Nov 20. doi: 10.1111/jpc.12776.
Congenital cytomegalovirus infection is a significant cause of moderate to profound sensorineural hearing loss in Queensland children.
Toumpas CJ, Clark J, Harris A, Beswick R, Nourse CB.
- Other published research is listed at Pub Facts, the University of Queensland, ResearchGate and Publons.
Areas of special interest:
- All common acute and long term medical conditions: for example, skin rashes, asthma and allergies, urinary tract infections, gastrointestinal problems
- Schooling problems, developmental and mental health disorders including autism, ADHD and anxiety
- Neonatology (newborn babies)
- General paediatrics, paediatric psychiatry and community paediatrics
Dr Toumpas places continuity of care for his patients as paramount and instrumental to his approach to medical practice. He believes that long term patient relationships enables a strong engagement and grasp on the whole family aspect to then develop his patients’ own personal growth and enrichment of their lives. Dr Toumpas has found that this in turn helps build on his own professional development and patient rapport.
Outside of work, Dr Toumpas enjoys spending time with his family including three young children. He also enjoys photography and squash.
Please contact Paeds in a Pod for bookings and further information: